Thanks to everyone who sent me those questions.
I’ve done my best with every single one, and if you have any questions about my answers, please comment below and I’ll make sure to answer those as well!
Love you all! I had a blast opening up to you.
1. What inspires you to dress the way you do?
-Simplicity inspires a huge chunk of my lifestyle.
2. What’s the best advice you can give when styling your outfits?
-Make sure you’re comfortable and make sure it’s a statement that shows who you are. An outfit is your introduction to the world.
3. Will you ever meet a meet up with your fans? Because I love you.
Aw, I love you guys too! I would love to do more meet ups, definitely!
4. What made you start this account?
A fake instagram account was made on me, stealing all of my tumblr photos and I was super determined to surpass its number of followers at that time. ( I know right? ). Turns out I enjoyed posting too much and forgot about my goal back then.
5. When was the first time you dyed your hair?
Generally speaking, I first dyed my hair when I was 17. It was the basic light brown that turned orange look that happens to too many of us asians. (lol.) If you’re asking about my grey hair, I started getting it done back in January of 2015.
6. What is your ethnicity?
7. Were you modeling for magazines before instagram? If so, how did that process go.
No I was not a model before my Blogging Career now. I tried, but failed miserably. But I am so glad I tried it because it helped me find my way to where I am now.
8. Are you happy?
I’ve never been happier!
9. Would you ever be willing to take on an assistant or interns?
I am still looking for one so don’t forget to send me your resumes 🙂
10. How do I become a part of your team?
I don’t necessarily recruit the people within GreyLayers. It’s people that I’ve known for years, people I trust. You can apply to be an assistant/ intern and work with me remotely.
11. How did you get started?
I started lost and full of mistakes. It’s never easy in the beginning ( nor is it easy to keep going.) but trust me, it does get easier as long as you’re doing what you love!
12. What do you think is your biggest accomplishment to date?
I would have to say living my passions. It takes a lot f strength and courage to do what you love in a world full of brainwashed people thanks to society reminding us constantly to be realistic. Your dreams and passion can be accomplished and yes, it is still realistic as well.
13. Which celebrity’s style do you love the most?
I love the Olsen Twins so much — growing up and then now.
14. What are your future goals?
To keep touching more people through my blog into doing what they love. Career wise, to become a brand of my own.
15. What camera and edit applications do you use for your photos?
On my blog, I shoot with a lot of photographers and so it all depends on what camera they all use. 80% of the time I use my iPhone. I use Phototoaster the app along with VSCO to edit my photos.
16. How did you start modeling? How did you reach your success? Any inspirational words?
I am not a model, I am a blogger. It’s a common mistakes to think both are one and the same however it is not. I can’t say I am where I want to be however I’m very glad to be where I’ve gotten thus far 🙂 It took a lot of sacrifices, pain and mistakes but you always end up pulling through 🙂
17. Do you work out? If so what do you do
I used to run a lot but I stopped because I tried gaining weight earlier last year. I only do ab workouts and tons of squats throughout the week. I am really skinny to begin with so I’m eating tons to fill in the gaps and tone overall.
18. Favorite stores or boutiques?
I love Revolve, their pieces are to die for! I also love Young Hungry Free ( online shop), and ASOS — my all time go to.
19. What gets you through particularly difficult days?
My bunny and my boyfriend with a side of Netflix and my bed. ( Pizza too).
20. How long have you been running your blog + social platforms?
Instagram and Twitter have been up for 4 years now. Tumblr for 10 and my blog for 2 years.
21. What exactly is your job?
I am a Full time brand Influencer and blogger, part time wanderer.
22. What’s the best advice you can give to a beginner blogger like me?
Consistency is the secret ingredient. Genuinity is KEY. Give genuine and you receive genuine. Follow the crowd and you get lost. Stray and find your own way, and you find yourself.
23. How would you describe the exact shade of grey your hair is?
My colorist would say medium grey with a slight hint of blue.
24. How old are you?
I am 24. (:
25. How did you get your hair that color?
I have been blessed with an amazing and highly talented colorist who’s become my friend 🙂 It took us 8 hours to get here but it’s all worth it !
26. What is your favorite thing about your career?
Being able to travel and see new places and meet amazing people — my favorite part about this!
27. What motivates you everyday?
When you are doing what you love, you never have to lie to yourself : ” Doing it for the paycheck”, ” It’s almost friday”, “Can’t wait to get a raise” — Nope. My love for my career is it’s own motivation. Getting up everyday and being your own boss while able to touch others into doing what they love a well is enough motivation for me.
28. Who is your favorite celebrity? PS I Love you.
Angelina Jolie is my favorite.
29. What is your favorite color?
Black and White.
30. What is your favorite cuisine?
I eat everything. This is a tough one. I love Indian food and Italian food as well as Mexican. However, Filipino food has gotta be my favorite.
31. How can you afford to travel so much?
It’s a part of my career! Doing what you love pays ( 90% of the time everything in your life is sponsored.)
32. What’s a hobby of yours?
I love wandering. Visiting new cafes, running into museums on a rainy day, flying to a different city here and there. Going to the beach and getting lost at the sight of the ocean…
33. What were you like in High School?
I was a complete fob. I came into America when I was 15, bringing in all of my “cool” clothes from the Philippines, thinking I was going to make it out alive but nope. Highschool was terrible for me. I wouldn’t do it again. Everything from fitting in , to trying to open my locket to having cool sneakers during gym class was the worst ever experience for me. #NeverAgain
34. Is blogging always what you wanted to do? If not, how did you get started?
No. I had no clue what blogging was before I got into it by accident. I was trying to be a model before but fell into all sorts of mistakes until I realized a lot of things. Blogging saved me. ( As crazy as that sounds.)
35. If you could eat one kind of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
36. What are your favorite films?
I am an avid movie go-er. I love old movies and positive films. My all time favorite has got to be The Theory of Everything. ( Go watch it! ).
37. Top tips to get the gram going? I’m a struggling fashion grammar.
Again, like blogging, consistency is key. Do not use different filters all the time. Find your aesthetic and stick to it. You don’t find your aesthetic if you’re following the crowd. So make sure you get into it being yourself. Everything else follows.
38. How did you determine your fashion sense? I try to search for what I like but I’m constantly changing my style.
I kinda fell into it by accident. I used to follow the trends that would come up and dress like everyone else — curbing my own liked ( like wearing trousers, men’s blazers, sneakers etc.) Then I realized I wasn’t growing. So I decided to give my own taste a shot. 🙂 Constantly changing your style is a good thing! It’s a great way to find your own.
39. If you could live anywhere in the world where would that be?
I can’t stay in one place. I have dreams of living a few years in London, then moving to Japan for three. Then living in Hawaii for four. I am a gypsy at heart and there’s no way I could ever stay in only one corner of the world.
40. How tall are you?
I am fun sized! 5’2″.
41. Can we do a shoot at the café?
Yes of course!
42. Have you always been so incredibly motivated to be such a boss or is there a defined moment in your life when you decided to push yourself above and beyond what you had expected of yourself previously?
I’ve always been business oriented. My parents made sure that characteristic was instilled in me while I grew up. Both my parents were their own bosses and growing up I saw that and wanted the same. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve worked for so many people and a good few amazing companies before I separated myself and did what I’m doing now. All those experiences have led me to become who I am today with the traits I have now. So yes, It has always been in me I guess.
43. Tips or advice for people who want to start a business.
Offer society something they haven’t had or seen before. You have too many competitors in the market, so make sure you are a good one, whatever you may become.
44. Can you host a closet sale in SF?
I would love to bring my closet to SF ! 🙂
45. I remember reading about you having a degree in the medical field. Why did you do it? Did you ever want it?
Yes I do have two degrees in the medical field. One General Health Science and the other a Bachelors in Healthcare Management. I also started off as a nursing student but switched out. I did it for my parents. Going into college I already knew what I really wanted to do. Growing up I already knew it was not in the Medical Field. I never wanted it but I did it out of love for my parents.
46. What inspired you to get into fashion?
I have always been the creative type. Watching my mother run her own brand back then was amazing. She was a fashion designer. I grew up around stitches and fabrics and fittings and runway shows. It was amazing. I think it’s become a part of my DNA and so naturally pushed me into having a career around Fashion and Marketing.
47.I admire you so much.
I love you guys. *hearts all around.* You all inspire me.
48. Can you post a picture of your closet?
Haha, I am not the tidiest person alive but sure, one of these days I’ll post a picture of my closet.
49. Do you believe in aliens?
50. Where do you want to travel next?
Morocco, London, Australia or Turkey, I will make you guys pick where I’ll go to next !
51. What are some tips you would give someone trying to get where you are? I graduated college in May and I am having the toughest time even landing an internship in fashion. This industry is tough. What tools have you utilized to help you gain success? And how have you made connections in doing so?
I think I’ve already answered a part of this question up top. However regarding your tough time, I will tell you one thing — This industry is not for the faint of heart. It isn’t for everyone. You are either born to be in it, or you’re not. It is very, very cut throat. You have to be resourceful — make do with what you have because chances are, you already have everything you need to get started right in front of you. The industry is all about networking, so go out there and get to know everyone, filter them later ( you’ll need to, promise.) Don’t be picky because experience is everything. Tons of people laugh at the retail industry but trust me, so many companies look for that experience in your resume. Goodluck!
52. Growing up what was your dream job?
I wanted to be Pocahontas.
53. Do you ever feel insecure? How are you so confident?
We all do in some way, at one point or another. I hate my feet, I hate my ears, I sleep with a pillow I’ve had since I was 4. I still get scared of the dark sometimes, I have a double chin right after I eat and sometimes. We all have our fair shares, but allowing it to reflect out of you is another. Confidence is owning up to those insecurities. Own up to yours and they can never ever control you again. Your insecurities are your best friends. They are the ones who will show you who will stay in your life and who won’t. Once you’ve faced them, trust me, you have nothing else to gain but confidence. Turns out, nobody cares about my double chin or ears, or toes. (: They don’t think of you because they’re thinking about them.
54. Have you achieved your wish to reach 100lbs?
No. 🙁 I am at a whopping 98 pounds. Sad.
55. If I sent you a DM would you read it and answer it?
Yes absolutely. I answer my DMs.
56. What are your passions besides fashion of course.
The Ocean. I love being by it, living by it, doing everything around it. Traveling is another of course. Take cooking classes in different countries — specifically France, Italy, Thailand, China, Morocco, Nepal. Take baking classes in France. Inspiring others is a constant passion of mine. Having positive responses from my posts fuels me to post more moving things 🙂 It’s a wonderful cycle that I am passionate about.
57. Do you have any days where you don’t want to dress up? What’s your never fail lazy day outfit?
I actually hardly dress up. The times I do are for photoshoots. If you bump into me I’ll most likely be wearing a black / white/ grey shirt with shorts / jeans and white sneakers or black boots. That’s it.
58. What lead you to switch from Healthcare to Fashion?
I never liked the Medical field. Science is cool but I can’t be a slave to it.
59. How do you maintain the health of your dyed hair?
My amazing colorist treats it about once every week to keep it bonded and healthy. At home I make sure it is extensively moisturized at all times since your hair becomes coarser after the process. Lastly ( and I just learned this recently), regular trims and cuts are very vital to colored hair. It keeps your hair from breaking everywhere.
60. Where did you study and what did you graduate with?
I went to Berkeley College for Healthcare Management and a community college for my General Science degree.
61. I’m really struggling to get my blog started. I feel like there are so many problems mainly my low confidence and my blog layout. Do you have any tips of how to overcome this Your success is really an inspiration to me.
You’re probably comparing yourself to others hence the low confidence level. As I have been mentioning a lot on this post, being true to you is key to being a good blogger. There are tons of bohemian bloggers out there, even more minimalists. Why are you following me? If you ask yourself of why should they follow you, you will know and find yourself enough to start up your blog confidently! As for your lay out, less is more. You’ll want your audience and readers to focus on your posts and not your layout, so make sure everything else is simple so it doesn’t clash.
62. How many outfits do you typically wear on an average day? Do you feel like you’re constantly changing clothes? What do you wear when you work out? Are you ever tempted to post some random phone picture that’s not artsy and cool? Or wear something not super fashionable? Were you a cool kid in Junior High/HS? Or a Nerd/Grandma?
I wear one outfit a day on a regular day. Photoshoots are a different story of course. I wear leggings and a sports bra when I work out. At times yes I am definitely tempted to post silly videos and what not on my IG, however that’s why I made a snapchat 🙂 I was definitely not a cool kid in Highschool! I have explained my Highschool experience up there somewhere in a previous question. I was a lost one, trying to fit in, highly insecure and very very bad at doing my eyebrows. lol.
63. What do you think helped make you most successful?
Being myself has helped me become where I am today. It’s made me the happiest as well!
64. What is your birthname?
Jeanne pronounced in French as “jh-ahh-n”. In English ( majority of you), it is pronounced as “Jeen”
65. Something you regret?
getting into the bell bottom trend back in the day.
66. Why greylayers? What does it mean?
Before GreyLayers, many of you knew me as Jeanne Lavin “TheOriginal_JLanvin”. Well, my attention from the House of Lanvin in Paris got called asking me to take down anything that had that name because I am not affiliated to the brand, Lanvin. My employers always called me Jeanne Grey because of the character in X-men. So I changed everything into Jeanne Grey. I call my blog GreyLayers because when I was Lanvin, I was the girl with the 30 inched brown hair down to her waist, wearing the shortest dresses and the highest heels she could ever find. Padding her bras and following the trends. That girl was criticized so much, judged even. Becoming Jeanne Grey, I named my blog Greylayers because it is made of my layers. I not only write about fashion, but I write about my dreams, my personality, my beliefs. I write about what makes me, me to show the ones who judge that they have no idea who I am.
67. What’s your workout routine? Any tips?
I’ve mentioned that already up top but here is a link of what I do on the daily:
68. What do you do when you have days off when you feel like not working out?
I am the worst at disciplining myself to constantly work out. I miss days, weeks even. However to make up for it, I am a regular Teami Blends Tea drinker which has helped my health a lot especially on days I do not work out.
69. Do you like sunflowers?
They’re one of my favorite flowers!
70. What movie theatre is in your snapchat? It looks so comfy.
I love going to Garden State Plaza in New Jersey when I’m around. That was where that was 🙂
71. How did you turn your passion into your full time job?
I had to sacrifice tons of things. More details up top :).
72. What are 5 pieces everyone must have in their closet?
Laced bralettes, a really good leather jacket, really well made jeans, a few staple shirts, white sneakers and a hint of Chanel. Keep it simple but significant.
73. How do you maintain your hair color? And does it take multiple bleaches to get it that way?
I go to get it glossed once a week. Doing this keeps the bronzing of the hair away. I also go back to get my roots fixed every four weeks. This keeps my grey perfect. Lastly, I do not wash my hair everyday. That washes away the color you’ve paid and worked hard to achieve.
74. What’s your daily routine?
I wake up at 8 am everyday to attend to meetings and calls up until 3 pm. Fittings and shoots normally happen between 3-6 pm. Events and press previews normally happen from 7-9:30pm and then when I get home I tend to my packages. Right before I sleep I answer emails and queu posts to go up the next day. And repeat.
75. What made you change your hair color? Has that small change impact your life/philosophy in anyway?
My good friend who is also my colorist insisted on it. She thought it would help me find myself even more. Plus its so on brand! She was right 🙂 Love you Lala.
76. How do you handle bleaching your hair all the time to achieve the grey?
Lucille, my colorist makes sure it doesn’t strain my hair. She’s very gentle as to not push my hair’s limits that it sacrifices its health. I love her for that.
77. How do you keep the health of your hair?
Answered this one up top already 🙂
78. Do you use your iPhone to take pictures for your IG? If not, what camera do you use?
Yes ! 80-85% of my photos both on social media and my blog are from the iPhone!
79. I can’t come up with a good question. But I just want to say you’re super cool and I love your hair.
Thanks so much !! <3
80. What is your mental process behind putting together your outfits?
Comfort meeting Style.
81. Ben & Jerry’s or Cold Stone?
Ben and Jerry’s always.