Another year coming to a close, another handful of lessons to bring into the new one.
This has been a tough yet very sweet year for me. The bad was — err, bad, but the best moments were very magical. Through both, I learned that the constant is exactly that: to continuously learn through it all.
- Progress looks different on everyone.
- Do not compare yourself to others. Their highlight reel may not be their reality. Everyone is facing their own issues. We are all the same.
2. Stop treating people like you owe them something.
3. Do not give so much of yourself to people who will not do the same for you.
- Do yourself a favor and don’t associate with anyone that makes you lose yourself trying to care about them.
4. It’s okay to outgrow people.
5. Love is not a reason to tolerate disrespect.
6. Say no to as many things as you can so you are able to say ‘yes’ to the important things.
- I am a chronic “yes-er”. I do not tell people no, and this year I started spreading myself too thin and falling apart because of it. If you are too tired or too stressed to do something say no. It’s the cliche “those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Your friends and family will understand.
7. Find time for what you love.
8. Find time for you.
- Banish quick fixes and take the time with yourself. With the wedding, my work, family and my personal life that consists of home, bills and agendas, I almost lost balance of my life. It is so important to take a step back and give yourself a second to readjust and align your equilibrium once again. If that means a day at home with a good book, an hour for a pedicure, or a 5 minute meditation session, do it.
9. Take up space.
- Don’t let anyone make you feel small ~ ever. Own it.
10. Not everyone will root for you.
- Some people don’t want to see you succeed, so prove them wrong. Sometimes people are going to do whatever they can to try to push you down. But that’s okay. Fall down 7 times, get up 8. You know you’re worth, and the people who don’t fully support you aren’t worth your time.
11. Nothing screws you up more than your own thoughts.
- Make sure you feed yourself with the ones that fulfill positively.
12. Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
- If you know something is wrong, don’t raise your voice, help them understand you. Improve your argument.
13. Invest in good pajamas. You’ll thank me later.
14. Don’t mess with someone’s feelings because you’re unsure of your own.
15. Don’t ever water yourself down for anyone’s comfort.
- Their insecurity is not for your to worry about. That is a very internal issue that they alone can fix. Keep doing you.
16.Let yourself fail. And try again.
- We are all masterpieces and works in progress at the same time and that’s okay.
17. There is no boy/girl out there cute enough or interesting enough to stop you from growing/improving yourself, your life and your craft.
You deserve the world. take these next 365 days, 1 full day at a time. Be more present in the now.
Happy New Year from Team Greylayers to each of you.